It’s time for our new contest. The theme for this one is: local businesses! By hacking up an application that uses both IndexTank real-time custom search API and Factual’s dataset of 14M US businesses.
You could win:
- A new iPad 2 + Smart Cover (1st place)
- A Parrot Quadcopter Air Drone (2nd place) Check out the views from above while you hover your new toy from afar. You’ve seen the ads — now’s your chance to get one.
- An Amazon Kindle (3rd place)
- Plus all live apps will get a free t-shirt from IndexTank & Factual and featured in IndexTank’s App Gallery
IndexTank (www.indextank.com) is Real-Time Custom Search API that allows you to quickly aggregate, index and search many different collections of data and APIs faster than ever.
Factual (www.factual.com) has amassed a monster database of all your favorite stores, restaurants, dry cleaners — heck, it’s all here!
Combine the two and POW you could be creating the new Yelp for your town, Foursquare – whatever your imagination can conjure. Mashing big data has never been easier.
What We Provide: Free Accounts and Lots of Data
You’ll get to use IndexTank’s premium plan. You get real-time search for up to 1 million documents, 1GB storage and all the benefits of snippets, geo-location and faceting. So go after large data, and show us what you can do.
Factual datasets will be limited to 1M businesses. You can create a web app of your local business, or go deep in one category and walk away with the top prize.
With IndexTank and Factual, you can search full-text across different datasets such as user created reviews or descriptions.
Don’t believe you can get something going in no time? This is what Chris Dellinger a previous contestant had to say.
“Overall I was very impressed with the ease at which I could develop an application …I went from zero knowledge to having something running in the cloud in hours!”
– GeekSeek find technical gurus (IndexTank + StackOverflow)
- Read the detailed contest rules.
- Sign up for Factual, requesting your dataset of local business (up to 1M) . To access the Factual US Local dataset follow this link and click on the “Request Download” button. Make sure to note in the download form that this is for the IndexTank contest and Factual will expedite your approval. Factual will get you a CSV of the data which you can then easily add to IndexTank.
- Sign up for your IndexTank contests account here, index your data from Factual and other datasets you want from other sources.
IndexTank search team is here to help, contact us at any time if you have questions through our live chat on our site or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Your support was excellent and responsive and the API is simple and fun to work with.”
– Ben Damman, Twin Ports Job Aggregator
- Contest begins: April 1st at 12:01 am, Pacific Daylight Saving Time.
- Contest ends: April 15th, 2011 at noon, Pacific Daylight Saving Time
- Notification of winners: April 25th, 2011
How to Submit Your Winning App
Your application must be live and accessible to our judges by end of the contest, and you must have completed the contest submission form.
Your app will be judged based on:
- The extent to which it takes advantage of IndexTank’s features and Factual’s data.
- Extra points if you incorporate Factual’s RESTful write API to allow for your users to edit the data.
- Extra points for making the source code publicly available (GitHub, Google Code, etc.) within 24 hours of the contest deadline.
By our expert judges:
- Diego Basch, CEO IndexTank (@dbasch)
- Bill Michels, Factual VP Developer Platform (@bill_michels)
- Nelson Cheng (Angel Investor & Filmaker)
- Othman Laraki, Twitter / GeoAPI (@othman)
Help Spread the Word</strong>
- This post on Hacker News
- Tweet this post
Diego Basch, CEO Indextank
Bill Michels, Factual VP Developer Platform