Do you love data, technology, and problem solving? Join us at Factual, where we’re hard at work organizing and optimizing the world’s location information. Our team is focused on cleaning, structuring, and delivering our dataset of over 100 million places. To make our goals a reality, we end up taking on unusual problems with small, focused teams made up of highly motivated people.
Our Data team is seeking a Data Science intern to help us ensure we deliver the highest quality Global Places product on the market. In this role, you will investigate and solve complex data quality and delivery problems. You will acquire new data sources and contribute to our data processing software. You will author specifications for new tools and help manage technical projects. In short, you’ll work on everything from experimental data science to wild west data wrangling.
At Factual, we cultivate multidisciplinary engineering teams. Everyone is comfortable with wrangling data, but we expect each individual contributor to bring a unique skill or expertise to the table. You should be a fast-working, highly-focused individual who pays strong attention to detail, shows great leadership and organizational skills, and gets things done.
- You are comfortable with data analysis, wrangling, and curation
- You are pursuing a degree in a quantitative field with coursework in statistics (e.g. Computer Science, Math, Linguistics, Physics, Chemistry, Engineering)
- You feel at home on the command line and with text processing
- You are eager to learn new technologies and skills in data processing and analysis
Baseline Skills (these are required):
- Domain-relevant experience
- Proficient with Unix commands and Ruby/Python scripting
- Familiar with regular expressions, DOM/CSS/HTML, parsing JSON, and information extraction
- Experience in reporting, analytics, and databases
Specialized Skills (you need expertise in at least one of the following):
- Experience with implementing machine learning pipelines
- Experience with Spark or MapReduce
- Experience with SQL and/or querying MongoDB or Solr Indexes
Factual internship program structure:
Factual is open to interns in the summer months. The specific start and end dates are flexible depending on your academic schedule.
In the summer, there are fun bi-weekly intern events scheduled throughout the summer. Past events include: Dodger games, Escape Room, night at the Hollywood Bowl, and horseback riding through the Hollywood Hills.
Interns will be expected to work a 40 hour work week. This is a paid internship and compensation will be based on the student’s academic level (undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral rates vary). This internship position is a non-exempt position under federal and state laws and will be eligible for overtime per regulations.
Preference will be for junior or senior-level undergrads and for those about to complete their Masters or PhD’s.
If interested in this opportunity, please submit a cover letter with your resume.